BASES host their 16th Heads of Department (HoDs) Forum
20th March 2019
BASES hosted their 16th Heads of Department Forum on Wednesday 20 March 2019 at Coventry University’s TechnoCentre.
The HoD Advisory Group Chair, Dr Lance Doggart FBASES said, “The Forum was another great success which has built on previous years practice and goes from strength to strength! It was well supported by colleagues from across the country, representing their respective universities, enabling the sharing of a wide variety of good practice and discussion around the key theme of the event. The Advisory Group decided to continue with the format and style of the event from the previous year, based on feedback from 2017, and this included ‘lightning talks’, workshops and more time for discussion between the delegates during the planned scheduled networking breaks”.
The Advisory Group, which includes Jocelyn Tantawy, Dr Keith Tolfrey FABSES, Dr Kiara Lewis, Dr Joanne Hudson FBASES and Dr Martyn Morris also noted that an early review of the evaluations suggested the style and format continues to be well received with the delegates appreciating the opportunity to share good practice, experiences and personal insights on the this year’s theme of T&L in SES. In addition delegates noted that the updates on BUES and REF 2021 were particularly timely and forwarded some very good suggestions for forum themes in 2020.
BASES Chair, Professor Richard Tong FBASES commented, “As always, a huge thank you to our guest speakers and also everyone who made the effort to support the event. We also thank everyone in the BASES office for their support; most notably, Jane Gillott who continues to be the key administrator for the event for many years”.
The agenda for the day was as follows:
- ·Welcome and introductions - BASES Chair, Prof Richard Tong FBASES, and Dr Lance Doggart FBASES
- ·Teaching and Learning in Sport and Exercise Science – presentations by Dr Joanne Hudson FBASES, Ben Drury and Dr Mark Smith, chaired by Dr Kiara Lewis FBASES
- ·Breakout session – ‘How to embed good T&L practice in SES degree programmes’
- ·Presentation by BASES Executive Director , Tom Holden, update on BUES
- ·Presentation by Prof Marie Murphy FBASES, REF 2021 update
- ·Emerging issues for BASES HoD Forum 2020
The presentation slides and breakout session notes can be found in the members’ area of the BASES website, please log in here and click HoDs 2019.
Thank you to our event supporters Human Kinetics and CRANLEA.